Monday, November 11, 2013

Trusting God's Loving Leadership

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. Psalm 32:8-9  NIV

   The old hymn, “Come Thou Fount”, contains the words, “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.”  We have a tendency to wander away from the Lord.  The Scripture above says that when we do this we are being like a horse or a mule.  What does it mean by that?

   The bit in a horse’s mouth keeps the horse from straying to the left or right.  The bit sits in the space between the horse’s incisors and molars which is a sensitive spot with many nerve endings.  When the riders pulls on the rein, the bit places pressure on this sensitive area.  The horse naturally wants to reduce the discomfort, so it returns to the direction that the rider wishes.   Ideally, the horse would not need a bit.  A well trained horse regularly responds to the movement of the legs and seat of the rider.

   This Scripture is imploring us to avoid the pressure of straying from God’s loving leadership.  We can learn to freely respond to God’s direction in our lives because we know he is always working for our best.  The best way to do this is by daily surrendering to God’s leadership.  It’s even good to refresh our surrender to God several times throughout the day.

   This week, begin each day with a simple prayer like this.
      “Father, I surrender to your loving leadership of my life.  Thank you for always working for my good.  I give you every part of me, all of my body, mind and soul.  Please fill me with your goodness and direct me on your paths of wisdom.

    You will find this prayer even more valuable if you write this prayer down on an index card or piece of paper and pray it several times throughout the day.  As you pray it, believe that God will do his part and fill you with His goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment